I can see an argument to be made that basic Internet connectivity is
essentially mandated for some portion of the population by schools, government,
employers, etc.

I have customers whose kids can’t do their schoolwork without Internet.  Last
week Ameren’s new smartmeters knocked a 900 MHz customer offline and her
daughter had to do a Skype interview as part of college application, ended up
burning through their cellular data plan but got it to work.  Government wants
to make it difficult to apply for things  like Social Security, Medicare, or
health insurance by phone or in person, they want you to do it online.  I think
that’s something they should be required to review, are they excluding low
income people or seniors or people in rural areas by mandating interaction via
Internet.  Same with employers, have you tried to find or apply for a job
lately without an Internet connection?

Internet is replacing phones as a required method of communication.  But also
let’s be honest, most of these things can be (and are) done on smartphones.
Although editing a resume or filling out a government form may be a lot easier
on an actual computer.

The word “broadband” is problematic in this context.  Government regulators,
tech media, telecom companies, etc. want a first-world definition of what kind
of Internet is a “basic human need”.  Flying coach isn’t good enough, everyone
needs access to first class.  Driving a used Toyota may be totally adequate to
get you to work and the store and take the kids to school, but if some people
have Teslas and Ferraris, then everyone must have them.

It’s amazing how fast 25M/4M went from an aspirational and futuristic
definition of “advanced broadband” to the minimum acceptable level, soon to be
replaced with 100M or gigabit.  And yes, 25M is an appropriate definition of
“broadband” if the objective is to cancel your satellite or cable TV and watch
HD video on 3-4 screens simultaneously, as well as download 50 GB games to your
Xbox in minutes not hours or days.  But 4M/1M will suffice for all those other
basic non-entertainment human needs.

The word “broadband” has no real meaning for most people.  Maybe we need 2 or 3
terms along the lines of what the airline industry has – coach, business, first
class.  Maybe a case can be made that everyone should have access to affordable
“basic Internet” that would let you do all those work, school and government
things.  The next level up would let you do those plus watch a Netflix movie.
For even more money, you can watch multiple video streams in HD or 4K
resolution.  But that’s about entertainment, convenience, and saving money by
cancelling your $150/month satellite or cable TV subscription.  It’s not about
basic human needs.

At some point in the future, there may be a turning point, if they manage to
make all forms of broadcast TV (OTA,  cable, satellite) go away and now
everything is on-demand and OTT.  I don’t mind telling the little old lady on
Social Security renting a dilapidated house in the country that she doesn’t
need Netflix, because she can use an OTA antenna, or get the cheapest package
from DISH or DirecTV.  But if all those options go away, as the government
auctions off all the TV spectrum, and DISH and DirecTV switch models to OTT
streaming, can you tell retired people on fixed incomes that they can’t even
watch network TV anymore unless they have “broadband”?  But that’s a future
problem, we’re not there yet.  And if the government is really intent on making
everything IP based, maybe they do need to structure the pricing so everyone
can still get phone service and watch TV and listen to the radio.  I worried
about that with Wheeler at the head of the FCC.  I don’t think we have to worry
about it for at least 4 years now.