Richard pryor is amazing man bar none thank you for sharing

-------Original Message-------

From: Ga
Date: 17/08/2009 2:22:05 PM
Subject: [PRSG:D] The Richard Pryor Television Show

I was searching for something else, and came across these by accident.  I
haven't downlaoded them yet, but the links all appear to be good.  Look for
Robin Williams and Sandra Barnhart as regulars.

A little history about the program:

In 1970, after several successful years as a nightclub comedian and frequent
Ed Sullivan Show guest, Richard Pryor grew tired of doing what he called
white bread humor" and walked off the stage during a show at the Aladin
Hotel in Las Vegas and away from a career that had been building for several
years. The comic moved to Berkeley, California, where he discovered the
writings of Malcolm X and began developing edgier material. He also
developed a cocaine habit. He reflected on that time in the '70s: "I'd take
the dope and pretend I was Miles Davis. But I couldn't have been a junkie
because when I wanted to stop, I stopped on a dime." (We all know that didn
t turn out to be true!)
A string of hit movies (Silver Streak, Greased Lightning) and comedy albums
in the mid-'70s made Richard Pryor a superstar.
On May 5, 1977, Pryor hosted a brilliant special on NBC featuring guests
LaWanda Page, John Belushi, The Pips (who performed a medley of their hits
without any lead vocals), and a powerful dramatic performance by poet Maya
Angelou. Pryor played his drunk "Willie" character, "Idi Amin Dada," and a
money grubbing television evangelist "Reverend James L. White" who gets
donation phones ringing off the hook when he announces they're collecting
money for a "Back to Africa" campaign.
The segment with Maya Angelou may be one of the most profound moments in
television history. Starting out as a very funny comedy skit with "Willie"
getting into a drunken brawl in a bar, the piece suddenly takes a harrowing
(and enlightening) turn when Willie stumbles home to his anguished wife
(Angelou). This is something you have to see for yourself, truly one of
those moments that remind you of the power television can have.
The special was a critical and ratings smash. Pryor's appearances on
Saturday Night Live had been numeric gold for the network as well, so NBC
programmers pondered the unthinkable—giving the most militant and
sexually-suggestive comedian of the decade his own weekly television series.

NBC only gave the star a ten-week contract, in part because there hadn't
been a successful variety show launched in over five years. For reasons only
a network executive could divine, The Richard Pryor Show was scheduled on
Tuesday nights at 8:00 p.m., opposite Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley.
Why would NBC put their most controversial and adult star on during the
Family Hour" when they specifically promised the comic during negotiations
that his show wouldn't start before 9:00 p.m.? You tell me.
This unexpected move caused Richard Pryor to have second thoughts about
doing a series at all. He reportedly broke down in an early writer's meeting
 confessing: "I bit off more than I can chew."
Reduced to tears, the comedian told his new staff, "I don't want to be on TV
 I'm in a trap. I can't do this." The dumbstruck writers tried to convince
him that he could do something special on television and labored for days
trying to convince him to change his mind and go forward. Pryor eventually
agreed to do four shows but not the ten that he originally signed for.
A great roster of supporting players was assembled for the variety hour:
Sandra Bernhardt, Robin Williams, Marsha Warfield, Victor DeLapp, Jimmy
Martinez, Tim Reid, Paul Mooney, Argus Hamilton, and "Detroit" John
Witherspoon. The show was produced by John Moffitt and Rocco Urbisci for
Burt Sugarman Productions and there would be no major guest-stars.
Battles with the network censors began as soon as production started. Pryor
was unnerved to find out, after signing his lucrative contract with the
network, that he wouldn't be given free rein to do whatever he wanted.
"It's bullshit, there's no other word for it—and lots of it. I think they
hire people, about six thousand of them, to do nothing but mess with people.
 The frustrated star told Ebony magazine in 1977, "The problem with censors
is that they don't like for people to communicate. I think it is on purpose
and very political. A lot of silly stuff went down about anything I tried to
do. It was just frustrating."
To spoof the situation he found himself in, Richard Pryor appeared at the
beginning of his first show stating firmly that he will never be compromised
 When the camera pulled back, you saw he was naked (actually wearing a
bodystocking) and his dick was missing. NBC ordered the "offensive" scene
removed, so it ran instead on the evening news on all three networks. More
people saw that "censored" clip on the news than ever saw The Richard Pryor
Show itself. Another skit on the first episode that caused some flack had
Pryor playing a flamboyant rock singer who machine guns his all-white
audience to death.
The controversy didn't stop there. The second episode featured a long, slow
sequence with a woman describing a lesbian experience in the park. One of
the most revealing moments of the series came during the final show. Part of
that episode was done like a "roast," only there were no guest celebrities
to fling insults at the host, just the supporting cast. It was a long, tense
television moment as the regulars either kissed Pryor's ass or burnt their
bridges behind them. The pained host just gazed downward much of the time,
rarely looking up or sincerely laughing. This did not appear to be a happy
group.
After the four episodes were in the can, neither star nor network was
willing to continue. The Richard Pryor Show was one of the lowest-rated
shows of that year - Happy Days and Lavern and Shirley, on the other hand,
were the number one and two rated shows in 1977. NBC and Richard Pryor
announced that the remainder of the contract would be made up of six
specials to be broadcast over the next three years.
Pryor promised, "I'm going to do them the way I want and then they can kiss
my behind." The specials were never filmed.
Was Richard Pryor bitter about his television experience? No, not at all. He
had this to say: "One week of truth on TV could just straighten out
everything. One hundred and twenty-seven million people watch television
every night; that's why they use it to sell stuff. They've misused it a long
time so now it's just a business, that's all. They're not going to write
shows about how to revolutionize America. The top-rated shows are for
retarded people."

The Richard Pryor Show Episodes
http://rapidshare.com/files/49654233/The_Richard_Pryor_Show_-_Episode_1
part1.rar