Why don't you look at an over-the-shoulder (Overhead) projector.  Then make photocopies as transparencies.  The image will be much brighter.  Opaque projectors are extremely wasteful of light and the overhead kind are far better.  Today photocopies are fairly cheap, even in color.  Meanwhile, I expect overhead projectors to become cheap because speakers are turning to PowerPoint and beamers.   I can imagine many overhead projectors on tomorrow's  scrap heaps.

I recently took apart an opaque projector but it could only handle 4x5   (It was already a pretty big thing and I could not imagine anybody paying the shipping, let alone enough  for the item to justify my effort in arranging packing and transportation.  I got tired of storing it, yet the optics were good, once taken out of that big housing.  I dread to imagine an 8x10.)  And the image was visible, but weak, although the lamp ate over 500 watts.

Bob