On Mar 13, 2008, at 2:03 AM, Rajaram S. Gaunker wrote:

> Is there an easy way to get a report of the history in plain text or
> pdf. The "Print" option under File is not able to be selected when
> viewing the history.
> I looked at the history.dat file and have not been able to find..

   Short answer - not that I know of.

   Longer answer:

   There's a perl script out  called Mork there that will decode the
rather cryptic (to put it MILDLY) history.dat files Mozilla browsers
produce.  I don't know if the history.dat file structure has changed
since this was done - so something more sane (like Safari's
LastSession file perhpas?), or to something that breaks Mork,
although I'd think not..  The file is cryptic enough as it is..

   I'm not aware of something that will take the output of Mork
(whatever form it's in - it's text is all I know), and turn it into a
PDF file, but PDF generators are a dime a dozen it seems.  There may
be a fully formed too out there.  Perhaps even the Mozilla project
has done it..  Remaking the history.dat file into something more
human reabable, even if it does take up more space would be a better
idea (there is a bit on the 'rant' page about history.dat that is
apparently uses 2-byte character encoding for EVERYTHING, even 1-byte
URls [most if not all URLs in the roman alphabet].  But..  that would
require chaning things all the way back down in the Mozilla base.  Or
forking the Camino history, which would be hard, and possibly create
problems with interoperability with other Mozilla browsers (IS there
interoperability between the history files of different Mozilla things?)

   If you're a Cocoa programmer, you might try looking at the
bookmark window code for Camino and see how it works (I haven't)  I
imagine it just calls routines in the Mozilla base that can pull
stuff out of the history.dat file as needed.

   But Mork is probably the easiest bet to get SOMETING out of the
history file.

Jim

These two URLs will get you started:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=perl+mozill