Hello,

As I'm using more and more programs that use native dynlink, I'm trying to understand what is the state of things on os x. According to this message http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/2008.10.21.html natdynlink does not work on 10.5 and above. However, if I read correctly this patch http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4863 it is enabled for 64 bits architectures. As the patch is in godi, I built a version of ocaml with it, and I'm having mixed results.

For some very simple files, things seem to work fine. But if I compile why3 with it (current git version), I get some errors when running why3config:

== Found /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/genequlin.cmxs ==
The plugin /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/genequlin.cmxs dynlink failed :
Dynlink error : error loading shared library: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/genequlin.cmxs, 134): Symbol not found: _camlRandom
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/genequlin.cmxs
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/genequlin.cmxs
== Found /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptp.cmxs ==
The plugin /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptp.cmxs dynlink failed :
Dynlink error : error loading shared library: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptp.cmxs, 134): Symbol not found: _camlParsing
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptp.cmxs
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptp.cmxs
== Found /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptpfof.cmxs ==
The plugin /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptpfof.cmxs dynlink failed :
Dynlink error : error loading shared library: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptpfof.cmxs, 134): Symbol not found: _camlString
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptpfof.cmxs
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /usr/local/lib/why3/plugins/tptpfof.cmxs

Note that there was a warning when compiling why3:
ld: warning: -read_only_relocs cannot be used with x86_64

So I'm a bit confused as to the current state of things. My questions are:

- is native dynlink on os x 64 bits architecture supported in ocaml 3.13dev? - if so, why do I get the ld warning and why does linking fails sometimes?
- if not, is there hope it will be supported in the future?

Thanks a lot,

Alan