Are you familiar with type-conv and the family of syntax-extensions that go
along with it?  You can do thinks like:

type t = { foo: int; bar: string }
with sexp, compare, bin_io

and automatically get sexp-conversion functions, a comparison function, and
binary protocol converters.  And type-conv has been used to build other
type-directed functions by other people outside of Jane Street.

The latest version is available on bitbucket, and we'll have a new blessed
release in a few days.

https://bitbucket.org/yminsky/ocaml-core/

Note that this is done purely syntactically, and yet gets you there.