> - Chung-chieh Shan and Oleg's "Lightweight Static Capabilities"
> presents several examples of phantom types and a general design method
> to use them to enhance program safety:
>   http://okmij.org/ftp/papers/lightweight-static-capabilities.pdf

I attempted to read this one out of curiosity,
and it raised a question: is there a way to write
these unsafe functions (List.Unsafe.tail/head...) in pure OCaml?

this code:

let head (Cons (a, b)) = a

would still generate code that check input constructor in order to raise an
exception if it's not Cons (-unsafe command line parameter does not change
this, regretably, according to the manual).

Is there another way?