Dear camlers,

While playing with the upcoming features of our favorite compiler, I found
that the current trunk and version/4.00 branch do not work well with
findlib (version 1.2.8). I report it here so others might confirm (or not)
what I say.

        OCaml version 4.01.0+dev1_2012-03-31

# #use "topfind";;
- : unit = ()
File "/home/pveber/usr/ocamlbrew/ocaml-svn/trunk/lib/ocaml/topfind", line
37, characters 0-22:
Error: Unbound module Topfind

What is really surprising is that the toplevel doesn't complain if I
copy/paste the contents of topfind directly in the compiler:

[gesundheit:~ 14:23]$ocaml <
/home/pveber/usr/ocamlbrew/ocaml-svn/trunk/lib/ocaml/topfind
        OCaml version 4.01.0+dev1_2012-03-31

#     * *       * * *                             - : unit = ()
#             * *     #     Findlib has been successfully loaded.
Additional directives:
  #require "package";;      to load a package
  #list;;                   to list the available packages
  #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
  #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
  #predicates "p,q,...";;   to set these predicates
  Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded
  #thread;;                 to enable threads

- : unit = ()

As you can notice, the install was done using ocamlbrew, but I could
reproduce the same problem directly installing ocaml and findlib. As I'd
rather not dump some foolishness of mine in mantis, I'd be glad somebody
could check this. Using ocamlbrew, this can be as simple as:

export OCAMLBREW_FLAGS="-t -a"
export OCAMLBREW_BASE=/home/joe/ocamlbrew
curl -kL https://raw.github.com/hcarty/ocamlbrew/master/ocamlbrew-install |
bash

The problem is present if ocamlbrew stops before installing utop.

Cheers,
  Philippe.