I'll chip in here and say that as someone who does a lot of numerical
scientific computation (CRFs and M^3 networks for genome sequence analysis),
it would be really hard for me to justify structuring all my computations to
make them amenable to shared-memory parallelization in order to get a measly
2-8x speedup. In my field, I don't feel there are many major questions we
can't attack with a single core but we could if we could only do it 4x
faster.
If I really *need* to parallelize a computation, I usually need to do it
bigtime (100x, 1000x), and I use a compute farm. If I'm going to do the
nontrivial legwork of parallelization, I'd rather do it in such a way that
it can immediately scale to the compute farm when I find the multicore
speedup to be underwhelming - basically coarse-grain parallelization with
RPCs.
The multicore situation might be more interesting to me if/when, as
predicted, we see dozens or hundreds of cores on a single chip. But it seems
to me like coordinating shared-memory computations in that scenario is still
a rather active research area, from both hardware and software perspectives,
and whatever designs are out there at the moment for concurrent GCs etc.
might well end up being irrelevant. Similarly, except for a handful of major
products, scientific code doesn't have a very long shelf-life (you're just
trying to pump out data for your next paper), and anything I write now will
be vastly obsoleted and long forgotten in 4-5 years. So I really don't worry
about this right now.

Now, if it were not only possible but really easy for me to do fine-grain
parallelization, like with OpenMP, Task Parallel Library, Cilk, etc., then
there'd be little reason for me not to take advantage of current multicores.
But again, it's not like this would enable me to attack all these problems
that I can't now. I don't doubt such problems exist, but they don't for me
(or really anyone I know). So, to me, OCaml's lack of shared-memory
concurrency is a shame but not a show-stopper.

-Mike Lin

PS. Apologies in advance, but I can never resist the urge to good-naturedly
hoist one by his own petard,
"I'm hard pressed to find a practically-important application that
will be better off with a concurrent GC..."
-Jon Harrop, 11 months ago
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.functional/browse_thread/thread/a288a989c5cd6acb/50b6ca2607173c91