I know that Caml team wanted to see if many-core shared-memory systems
were going to stick around before bothering with Caml development that
takes advantage of them.

Well, it looks like they are here to stay, after all:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-9981760-64.html

As much as I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I think Caml
has been a great and grossly underappreciated product, I need to see
if writing Caml is a viable code investment for the coming years or
something like Haskell, SML, F# or even Ada will be a better long-term
alternative.

Are there plans to make Caml threads OS-native threads, or add
OpenMP-style primitives, or otherwise support multiple CPU cores? And
if so, roughly in what time frame?