Richard Jones wrote:
If you also follow the rest of that thread, there's a message passing
OCaml version by Gerd Stolpmann which also scales properly.

To be honest, matrix multiplication interests me not at all since no
one is hand coding their own matrix multiplication when there are
perfectly good, parallel libraries available for most languages,
including OCaml.  Even if you were writing all your applications in C,
you'd still be stupid to hand roll your own matrix multiplication.
Let's have a real example instead.

This is true while your are concerned with matrix over the real or
complex numbers, but if you want to use arbitrary precision arithmetic,
finite fields, quaternions or any ring you like, then you are stuck.
Linear algebra is useful in every mathematical field, not just numerical
computing.

It is not ridiculous at all to code matrix routines in OCaml, since you
can use functors to use your routines with any kind of scalar, not just
complex numbers. And I already had to code dense matrix operations for
these reasons.

BTW, if anybody here knows presentations about matrix implementation(s),
I would be very glad to know about it.
--
Cheers,
Michaël