On Jan 16, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Hugo Ferreira wrote:

Peter Ilberg wrote:
On Friday 16 January 2009 08:42:52 Hugo Ferreira wrote:
I have implemented a simple Prolog like inference engine
to be used in machine learning algorithms (ILP). My first
basic test shows that inference is dismally slow (compared
to a Prolog compiler).
Consequently I am looking for information on optimizing the code.
For implementing a Prolog-like language, you might want to look at
this book on the Warren Abstract Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030213072337/http://www.vanx.org/archive/wam/wam.html

Ok, new of this document. But I think this demands too-much effort.

What you expect, basically, is for OCaml to magically translate your
likely cobbled-together, slowly performing interpreter into a bytecode
compiler and a VM.

That ain't happening, and it's not OCaml's fault. Try compiling your code
in F# and see how fast it runs - I doubt you'll see an improvement of
more than an order of magnitude, unless you're really unlucky to hit
some OCaml's deficiencies. I doubt that SWI Prolog would be
substantially (as in more than an order of magnitude linear constant) slower
if it were ported to OCaml.

Writing a well-performing Prolog system is not an overnight task, at least
not without using some decent compiler/system building libraries, which
may not even exist.

Cheers, Kuba