yoann padioleau wrote:
Come on, can you stop all those stuff about LLVM. The guy works in a game
company
with people knowing C/C++ for decades, with quite a lot of legacy code I guess,
and you
arrive with your "hey you should use LLVM" that almost nobody knows about.
Not to defend Jon too much publicly ;-), but LLVM is a serious piece of software that deserves a lot of attention. Trust me, we do keep an eye out for exciting emerging technologies.
Oh, and by the way, in which programming language is written LLVM ? :)
LLVM has already a surprising amount of language support. You should check it out. Another interesting project related to LLVM is Clang.
Valgrind is written in C (and julien seward, its author knows very well Haskell), Qemu is written in C, because I guess indeed C struct and union
and bitfields makes it easy to match directly to the hardware (no marshalling,
there is direct mapping).
LLVM is very low-level and perfectly capable of handling these things.
So what you propose to his company is to switch from C++ to HLVM ? :)
That might not be feasible due to some non-technical concerns, but I wouldn't say that it is completely out of the question. During the PlayStation 2 era, Naughty Dog used its own proprietary language called Goal - an imperative variant of Scheme. We very much understand that lack of programmer productivity is a major cost, perhaps /the/ biggest, for game production. Therefore, anything that helps in this regard is of huge interest.

Thanks,

PKE.

--
Pål-Kristian Engstad (engs...@naughtydog.com), Lead Graphics & Engine Programmer,
Naughty Dog, Inc., 1601 Cloverfield Blvd, 6000 North,

"Emacs would be a far better OS if it was shipped with a halfway-decent text editor." -- Slashdot, Dec 13. 2005.