Le 29 juil. 09 à 01:28, Jon Harrop <j...@ffconsultancy.com> a écrit :

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 22:47:25 Aaron Bohannon wrote:
let f (x : 'a) : 'a = x in (f true, f 3);;

Err, good question. :-)

# let f : _ = fun x -> x in f true, f 3;;
- : bool * int = (true, 3)
The type of f here is something like 'a. 'a -> 'a. So you can use it on bool or int. I understand it like [], like in the expression (3 :: [], true :: []) where it has type 'a. 'a list (unfortunately it is not synctacally correct to say
let f : 'a. 'a -> 'a = fun x -> x, I don't know why.)

# let f : 'a = fun x -> x in f true, f 3;;
Error: This expression has type int but is here used with type bool
Here you specify that there exists a type named 'a, which is the return type of f and which should unify with both bool and int. Hence the typing error.

I'm guessing the scope of the 'a is not what you'd expect but I have no idea why. I'd have thought the latter would be a harmless type annotation...

My guess is that the problem here is not about scope but about quantifiers : the type of f is quantified universally by default but the annotation constrains the type of f to a fixed (yet unknown) type in the subsequent expression (in that sense, yes, the scope of f plays a crucial role).

HTH,

Ph.

Any takers?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e