Hi.

On 3 Sep 2009, at 03:28, Andres Varon wrote:
On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:32 PM, John Whitington wrote:

Hi Folks,

Has anyone managed this? Bytecode seems fine, native not so.

I've tried just ./configure and ./configure -cc "gcc -m64" with the source bzip of 3.11.1 as suggested in INSTALL. Both compile fine, but give:

feast:trunk john$ ocamlopt -c a.ml
feast:trunk john$ ocamlopt -o a a.cmx
ld: warning: in libasmrun.a, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
"_caml_ml_set_binary_mode", referenced from:
    .L139 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
    .L157 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
    _camlPervasives__102 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
    _camlPervasives__102 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
... (several hundred more lines)

This is with XCode 3.2 64-bit (from the Snow Leopard DVD), the gcc is i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1.

lipo -info libasmrun.a gives:
input file /usr/local/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a is not a fat file
Non-fat file: /usr/local/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a is architecture: x86_64

One possibly-salient error from the build:
ld: warning: -read_only_relocs cannot be used with x86_64

Configure log: http://www.coherentpdf.com/configure.txt
make world.opt log: http://www.coherentpdf.com/build.txt

I just installed Snow Leopard in my laptop and the x86_64 ocaml appears to work fine. I noticed that in your configure log the gcc compiler is still listed at the end as 'gcc', while in mine it is 'gcc -m64'. Perhaps you need to cleanup with 'make distclean' and reconfigure before compiling the x86_64 target?

It turned out these errors were spurious - I nuked the machine and installed 10.6 clean, and it was fine. However, 3.11.1 seems to have a bug 3.11.0 doesn't, which I've reported here:

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4860

Also, the 3.11.1 intel .dmg from the OCaml website doesn't work, which I've reported here:

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4861

Thanks to Andres and Markus for their help. It's taken 3 days in total to deal with all the ocaml and non-ocaml issues with Snow Leopard - time I got back to some work now :-) And next time a new OS X comes out, I'll buy a copy and put it on the shelf for a few months!

Cheers,

John