On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:50:36PM +0100, Erik Rigtorp wrote:
> Some IPC Benchmarks, Solaris 10 on a quad core Intel Core2 Duo. The
> benchmarks are running on a cpuset with 1 core. I measure the time
> from sending in one process until the other process receives the
> message. So a context switch and the message passing is included in
> the measurements.
>
> Max/Min/Avg
> * Pipes: 28205/5973/6259
> * Unix domain sockets: 44256/7748/8153
> * SYSv message queues: 19197/5895/6173
> * Posix message queues: 37399/10965/11303
> * TCP on loopback: 29017/7471/7885
>
> So the latency is roughly 10µs for all these solutions. That latency
> is pretty high and would be several times the processing time of the
> message itself.

Are you pinning processes?  Without pinning and understanding the
corresponding physical architecture of the machine, such tests are
pretty much useless.

Also - Solaris 10 ...?  That boat left a long time ago.  You should
really be thinking about migrating to modern operating systems run by
a company with a future.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones