On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 02:07:45PM +0100, Marco Maggi wrote:
>   I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, but  there seems to be no  way to install
> the package in  a temporary location via the  Linux de facto
> standard DESTDIR environment variable;  is there a way to do
> it?  (I am used to build custom packages.)

If I understand correctly, in autoconf-style setups, the contents of
the DESTDIR variable are prepended to the configured prefix to obtain the
paths used for installation.  Thus you might install to /tmp/usr/bin/ocamlopt
even though the compiler is configured for /usr.

Unfortunately I don't believe the Caml build system supports such a feature.
One possible way of doing it might be to run "make install" inside a chroot,
but you would likely need a lot of additional tools present inside the chroot
for that to work.

As another poster has said, it's probably best to use the distribution
packages if possible, or else just directly write into the installation
location (using ./configure -prefix /path/to/install/dir).

Mark