Hi,

Richard Jones wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:02:52AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:43:42AM +0100, Hugo Ferreira wrote:
The output
shows memory usage below the 100M mark, however the unix command
"top" shows usage in the order of Gigabytes (at least 4.8). This
memory consumption grows gradually.
The output of top isn't a reliable way to measure memory usage.

Really you should be looking at /proc/<pid>/maps.  That will show you
if, for example, the heap is becoming fragmented or if there's some
memory leak.

No looking for exact or detailed data. Just trying to identify which
function is the culprit. An order of magnitude in difference makes me
think I am doing something wrong.

There is a nice utility for examining maps files and
system memory usage, but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

I might have been thinking of this one:

http://lwn.net/Articles/329458/

I looked at this tool. Going to ask the admin if he can install
this because I cannot interpret the output from the "/proc/<pid>/maps".

Thanks for the pointer,
Hugo F.

Rich.