In OCaml, the value restriction leads to non-generalized type variables ('_a
etc.) if you try to define functions like:

# let ( << ) f g x = f(g x);;
val ( << ) : ('a -> 'b) -> ('c -> 'a) -> 'c -> 'b = <fun>

# let cons h t = h::t;;
val cons : 'a -> 'a list -> 'a list = <fun>

# cons << cons;;
- : '_a -> ('_a list -> '_a list) list -> ('_a list -> '_a list) list = <fun>

This is a silly example but you are most likely to hit this problem in practice
in the context of parser combinators. Due to JIT compilation, F# cannot relax
the value restriction so that does not even compile.

In MLs, you usually want the eta-expanded form:

# let cons2 x = (cons << cons) x;;
val cons2 : 'a -> ('a list -> 'a list) list -> ('a list -> 'a list) list =
  <fun>

But a pipeline is prettier:

# let ( |> ) x f = f x;;
val ( |> ) : 'a -> ('a -> 'b) -> 'b = <fun>

# let cons2 x = x |> cons |> cons;;
val cons2 : 'a -> ('a list -> 'a list) list -> ('a list -> 'a list) list =
  <fun>

This is one advantage of Haskell over OCaml/F#. However, I don't see it as a
useful advantage in practice because parser combinators are so tedious during
development (they require constant attention as types evolve): you want code
generation like ocamlyacc or camlp4. OCaml is a very strong contender here, of
course.

Cheers,
Jon.