http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/management/story/0,10801,97224,00.html?SKC=home97224

> Is it really getting this bad? How can XP grow in
> this
> climate?
>
> and again, why do we allow this?

Because of metric abuse.

Tom DeMarco's awesome book /Slack/ has lead me to an
annoying conclusion. His book describes companies
reducing their middle management and forcing the
survivors to take on extra workloads. Standard
Dilbertesque fare.

In the technical knowledge-working fields, bosses can
systematically and evenly squeeze all the Slack out of
their companies by using metrics to check that each
worker is evenly over-worked.

You get what you measure, and folks don't measure
Slack.

The result is the amazingly common and rampant misery
in our industry. And if you think working in an
over-developed nation for an over-compensated boss is
fun, try working in a 3rd-world outsourcing shop where
the streets are full of people who could replace you
if you complain about the long work hours.

=====
Phlip

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
Yahoo! Groups Links