Bill,
I guess that properly tapered battens are important in light and may
be moderate wind. In heavy air there is so much force applied to the
sail that all they can do is to keep a leech side of the sail more
or less flat, not allowing a sag to form there. In such conditions
the wind pulls the sail up to it's design/stretch limits and battens
with 3 or 6 or a little more lb deflection load cannot offer much
resistance to this bending force.
But I'm not sure about that and would like to know other opinions.

Also would be great to hear from these people ...
Thanks

Andrei

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Bill Levis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Andrei,
>  There are people on this list that can help determine when Hobie
started
> doing this from the factory. My guess is late 90's. I know for a
fact that
> the 80's boats did not come with tapered battens. I don't race but
I do like
> the sail shape that I can achieve in light to moderate winds. When
it's
> really blowing it's a little more difficult to flatten the sail. I
would say
> it would be even harder without the 6:1 mainsheet blocks and a
real downhaul
> purchase.
>
> Bill

Hobie
> > Cat company produces. No rush of course.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Andrei
> > H14T, H16
> >
> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Bill Levis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >>  My H16 came from the factory with tapered battens for the
main. I
> > am pretty
> >> sure the jib has them too but not positive. If it's that
important
> > I can
> >> pull one and let you know.
> >>
> >> Bill