Dave - to answer:

1. sqlite3-ruby (1.2.4),
2. I installed an updated Ruby (1.8.6) some time ago (can't recall how!),
3. sqlite3 (3.1.3) is already on OS X 10.4.11,

4. I don't use a package manager (or ports or fink), and know nothing about sqlite header files. I was thinking of installing a newer sqlite3 (keeping the existing), which might do the trick? Although using the OS X version lowers the entry bar, and I'm trying to make this easy for students.

Dave

What version of the gem are you using? 1.2.4?
I'm assuming you compiled ruby yourself based off of its location,
did you compile sqlite as well or get it through your OS package manager? In either case, I've found you'll need the sqlite header files for the gem to work correctly. In your package manager they're probably called sqlite-devel or something like that.