This is just what a portal site should be - a one-stop resource and authoritative place for announcements. For a start, I *always* have to Google the mailing list too(!) - it's just handy to have all the links public, and to know there's a single site to remember to visit for fresh news.

To comment on specific points:

1. I think the book is a great start (I didn't know of it / couldn't find it / remember it existed),

2. the docs and ref do the job with a (primarily links) cleanup

3. in the ref, would be good to have a 'top' or 'menu' link in the revealed sections to return to the nav

4. README would be a good index file (happy to help with cleanup) - nice to keep the familiar style throughout, and I find the links at the top really handy.

The only thing I miss, is a blog-ish thing where we can post updates.

umm... what better than the blog example itself, expanded, on the new site, with admin access shared among active members of the community? For more complex material, the wiki might be the best place: http:// wiki.github.com/camping/camping ?

What volume of traffic do you get for these?

- Dave

Here's what Camping currently have:

Source: http://github.com/camping/camping
Mailing list: rubyforge.org/something/I-always-google
Bugs: http://github.com/camping/camping/issues
Wiki: http://wiki.github.com/camping/camping
Docs: http://camping.rubyforge.org/
Book: http://camping.rubyforge.org/book.html (not yet, but hopefully soon)

The only thing I miss, is a blog-ish thing where we can post updates.

And also think the README at the docs would be a pretty good index.html if we just clean it up a bit.

Just so you know, I've been messing a bit with the template, so it
looks a bit different:
README: http://stuff.judofyr.net/camping-docs/
Reference: http://stuff.judofyr.net/camping-docs/api.html
Book: http://stuff.judofyr.net/camping-docs/book.html

(Have a look at the new reference and tell me what you think. The main idea is to bring all the docs into a single page, and rather use javascript to show/hide sections. Yes, I know that you can't expand the methods yet. As for the book: It was just something I threw together and I hope some of you might want to improve it.