Hi David

seriously do a normal, new user have to dig till stackoverflow to find this out ? I think that db connection, especially MySQL (because I don't think the small average web app would need mongo/ couch but that's just me) should be fairly straightforward.

it is, it's just not immediately documented although there are some (a bit out-of-date) posts on MySQL and Camping. The idea is that you can use what you like, but perhaps an example for each case would be in order...

Again since I do not have knowledge of rails this might be just my problem ... if the target is people using rails may be more clarity is not needed.

no, I think camping has a separate user base (wild claim, no stats) and although (being Ruby) many are familiar with/also use RoR, this isn't taken for granted and shouldn't appear as if it is...

(BTW perhaps it would make sense to unify some of these tutorials on the camping website?). I hope I am not being too critical.

not at all, it's good to have new users! As for unifying things... well, that's been tried before :-) the thing is, although we all get on, the varying ideas about Camping's 'public face' each have a unique take on things. http://camping.rubyforge.org/ is the main starting- point, and (as you know) Philippe Monnet's site also has a lot of useful tutorials e.g. this one on OAuth http://blog.monnet-usa.com/?p=293 But if you'd like to list what you've found useful (or compile a set of ideas for brief guides to Camping) at some point I'm sure there'll be a way to get it added somewhere findable... I might even do it myself :-)

Dave