What version of RUby itself are all of you experiencing this problem
running? Is it perhaps ruby 1.8.6? I've been doing file transfers
with cap here of up to 25Mb without ever seeing this issue no matter
what i call before or after the put command. THis was with ruby 1.8.5

        But I just tried it with ruby 1.8.6 and was able to get the same
deadlocking error.  Ruby 1.8.6 has a bug in the threading code that
causes deadlocks sometimes.

        Can those of you having this issue please install the fastthread gem
and add require 'fastthread' to the top of your recipe files and
report back please?

Thanks
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist