no_release is used inside the default deploy.rb to decide which machines get
the code checked out, it's not very intuitive, and I believe is only
documented incidentally, a cursory look into the code in the deploy.rb which
you are using (probably the default) would have cleared it up.

Remember, Ruby is easy to read, and even complex software - looking in the
source is often better than googling.

- Lee