cap deploy:upload FILES=public/styleshets/scaffold.css

Sets the environmental variable after you call Capistrano (see your shell's documentation)
In task:upload I wrote "files = (ENV["FILES"] || ""); p files; exit"
When I call "cap deploy:upload FILES=public/styleshets/scaffold.css"
I see the output: "public/styleshets/scaffold.css", so it seems that ENV["FILES"] is being set.

    FILES=public/styleshets/scaffold.css cap deploy:upload

Should work for you.
Unfortunately, this results in the error:
The command "FILES" is either spelt incorrectly or couldn't be found (translated from German).