Tim, your deploy user doesn't have permission to start services. There's a
few ways around this, please find someone better qualified (locally) to
brief you on the pros and cons, or just google them youself, here's some
hints

   - Set UID on the mongrel cluster start script
   - Set GID on the mongrel cluster script, and make it startable
   - Capistrano config allow :admin_runner
   - Capistrano config allow user to sudo (Google: capistrano visudo)
   - Mongrel on a high port (won't need root on ports > 1024) with web
   server set up correctly

That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head… options nearer
the bottom of the list are "safer" if you don't know a lot about securing a
server.

- Lee