Lee...

In my deploy.rb file I have:

default_run_options[:pty] = true

Is that the bad idea to which you refer?

I may also have set the default shell to /bin/bash for the user I'm
using on the server to execute the cap commands.  Is it best practice
to leave the default as "sh" and to set it manually to "bash" when I
personally ssh into the account to work?

Thanks,
Chris