we use God as our runner for both unicorn and resque

on the box we use a single init script to start God.  God then is
responsible for starting our app.

In the deploy scripts we interact with god, and we don't have this issue
since god is already daemonized and theres no shell to send a hup to resque.

This method has been working so well in wrangling unicorn and resque, I've
just got done writing in control of our redis, and I think I'll add in
nginx, and remove all of those start scripts.  So God is the single init
script on the box, and it can start and control the whole application
environment.

If you don't like god, consider bluepill or monit.  You'll end up liking the
extra monitoring and advanced notification and remediation that a management
layer like that can provide.