Because if you want to deploy with migrations there's a task for that

deploy:migrations

That gives you the ability to choose what's best for your situation

deploy
(site comes back up)
deploy:migrate

For long running migrations

Or

deploy:migrations
(site comes back up)

Or

deploy
(site comes back up)

Fastest deploy when you know you don't have migrations.

You can also change the normal deploy to always do migrations.

before "deploy:symlink", "deploy:migrate"