It should be #{latest_release} not #{release_path}

release_path only works during a deploy; latest_release will work all the time.

See:

https://github.com/capistrano/capistrano/blob/master/lib/capistrano/recipes/deploy.rb

Have you ensured that all the targets in shared exist before attempting to
create the symlinks?

What isn't working about it?

Are you invoking 'cap deploy:shared_symlinks' then see my suggestion above.

Is the cap task raising an error; post a copy of a failed run.

Is the task executing but you just don't end up with the symlinks?

Are there files pre-existing in the release directory from checkout; you need
to remove them in order to recreate them as symlinks.