Hi, Everyone,

After trying to debug this problem for days, I have narrowed the issue down
to a problem with the SSH daemon on the hosts in our environment.  We are
using a proprietary Centrify DirectControl-enabled OpenSSH daemon, and a
recent upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 appeared to have introduced this issue.  I
downgraded one of our hosts to 5.0 and Capistrano started functioning as
expected (I should have discovered this a long time ago; I somehow
convinced myself it was a problem with the version of Ruby gem(s) I had
installed).  Thank-you to everybody who read my email and or started going
down the path of helping me :-)

Have a nice holiday.