Versions:

   - Ruby 2.1
   - Capistrano 3.1

Platform:

   - working on OS X 10.9.1
   - deploy to CentOS 6.5

On my target deployment server, i cannot ssh in as my deploy user,
admin@myserver, but I can ssh in as paul@myserver and then sudo su - admin.

I made a test task
  task :sayhello do
    on roles(:app) do
      as "admin" do
        puts capture "whoami"
      end
    end
  end

And that works as expected:

$ cap beta deploy:sayhello
DEBUG [acaa0e6a] Running /usr/bin/env if ! sudo su admin -c whoami >
/dev/null; then echo "You cannot switch to user 'admin' using sudo, please
check the sudoers file" 1>&2; false; fi on awse-tweb01.foo.com
DEBUG [acaa0e6a] Command: if ! sudo su admin -c whoami > /dev/null; then
echo "You cannot switch to user 'admin' using sudo, please check the
sudoers file" 1>&2; false; fi
DEBUG [acaa0e6a] Finished in 6.982 seconds with exit status 0 (successful).
DEBUG [153b980d] Running /usr/bin/env whoami on awse-tweb01.foo.com
DEBUG [153b980d] Command: sudo su admin -c "/usr/bin/env whoami"
DEBUG [153b980d] admin
DEBUG [153b980d] Finished in 0.535 seconds with exit status 0 (successful).
admin

How can I have Capistrano run the deploy tasks as admin?
  i.e. prefixed with sudo su admin -c or sudo su the shell before running
commands

Paul