Trying to write a custom capistrano task that simply copied one file from
my local machine to the application server that is being deployed to.

I have looked at upload! and other functions but can't seem to get it
working. Also attempted to try rsync but that is not fun on windows.

What im trying to solve is every time i deploy with capistrano (cap
production deploy). I want rake assets:precompile to run, and then push up
those assets to amazon s3. This is not an issue and is currently working
fine. However also to ensure the rails application server is able to make
sense of the digests to use when rendering assets i need to copy the e.g.
\public\assets\manifest-8b74009c0e14289ecc5d15a5f7de36a3.json file over to
each servers \public\assets folder.

Which just got me thinking right now, why don't i just run the rake
assets:precompile RAILS_ENV=production locally and then just commit the
generated manifest file
\public\assets\manifest-8b74009c0e14289ecc5d15a5f7de36a3.json to git, and
perform a deploy after that point.

Hope you can provide some alternatives on how you would solve this problem?