The serialization part is where I fell on my face; I was definitely
following the C++ implementation a bit *too* closely.

There's a huge amount of type polymorphism needed and that was tripping me
up pretty hard as well; I'm going to instead actually take advantage of the
fact that JS is a dynamic language and that should help cut down on the
amount of code needed.

WASM is definitely an appealing thought and probably the ideal way to use
capnp in the browser, but the way I see it a pure JS implementation will
continue to be appealing for as long as we have other non-desktop devices
with JS but not WASM support (I'm looking at Android 4.x, especially -
that's going to be around for a while).