> One bit of food for thought: you can't exactly mmap() in elm, and even to get
> from bytes to `Array Int` you have to do some non-trivial unmarshalling.  It
> may make as much sense to just bite the bullet and parse the whole thing
> (deeply) into an idiomatic data type up front, just like implementations
> protobufs; by the time you take into account all of Elm's limitations, it's
> not clear to me how much keeping it in the wire format like the C++
> implementation does actually buys you.

> Doing an up front parse solves a lot things, so if you go another route, be
> clear on why.

This is intended to be a prototype. `Array Int` is an awful data type for this
use case, but it works well enough for prototyping. Specifically, for the
context of others reading this thread, `Array` in Elm is a tree structure and
will not provide reasonable performance. That said, I’m hoping that I can use
`elm-bytes<https://github.com/elm/bytes>` in a better way than being forced to
decode it into a full Elm data type – though as I say this, it seems that I’d
need some buy-in that I can’t be guaranteed. I may end up with that solution in
the long run, but I want to implement one with the double array to start and
see if I can convince a few people.

Still, it’s not clear to me why you’d use Cap’n Proto if you’re going to do a
full serialization/deserialization. Just use Protobufs at that point. You could
argue that this existing for completeness is valuable i.e. you can run capnp on
your backend and not be forced to translate into a protobuf on your frontend,
but at that point. I’m not sure that this is a good enough reason to write a
library like this. Additionally, it’s not like JavaScript doesn’t have more
complex capabilities like Uint8Array that Elm could take advantage of.

That said, I’m more or less treating this as immutable data and providing ways
of reducing the cost of updates (such as batching updates). Haskell at least
has the ST monad for performance. There just isn’t a better way of doing this
in Elm as far as I know.

> It would make sense to publish this as a package by itself; it's a nice
> conceptual unit that would be useful as a library for other projects.

Sure, I was thinking the same thing. Just thought that I’d focus on the
Capnproto implementation before publishing. It’s fairly separate though, so I’m
not worried about separating it out once I’m ready.

> This was a somewhat awkward thing to cover with the Haskell
> implementation; what I ended up doing amounts to a glorified state
> monad:

So the `Struct` type is a glorified state monad. `fields` holds the record that
acts as the struct’s definition. I’ve attached an example below that shows how
I think this should work. Let me know if that makes sense and feels reasonably
ergonomic.

Regarding namespacing in the parallel conversation: I think it’s kind of awful
that Haskell records are accessed via functions instead of some scoped operator
or the like. Not really useful as a comment, but I thought I’d add my
displeasure.

Pointer field defaults: Field defaults in general are not features I feel super
great about. Not that I’ve thought about this in horribly great depth, but they
seem to be very problematic if they are ever updated – your binaries will read
the same bytes as two different structs. I always assumed that’s why they were
removed from proto3. They also don’t seem *that* useful as you can handle this
on the application layer sufficiently well. I’m curious if others think
differently and feel strongly about their inclusion.

getMainPhone : Struct AddressBook -> Struct PhoneNumber
getMainPhone s =
 let s : Struct AddressBook
 in s
    |> Capnp.get .people
    |> Capnp.List.get 0 AddressBook.person
    |> Capnp.get .mainPhone AddressBook.person_phoneNumber

-- assume d : Data exists. This is an `Array (Array Int)`
-- Inputs:
--  Struct
--    { data = d
--    , fields =
--      -- Field AddressBook (Capnp.List.List (StructField Person))
--      { people = ...
--      }
--    , viewOffset = (0, 0)
--    , currentTraversalDistance = 0
--    , traversalLimit = 67108864
--    }
-- Outputs:
--  Struct
--    { -- Data has not been updated. Hopefully, d is not actually copied,
--      -- and is simply a pointer, but I’m not sure how this works exactly.
--      -- If I have to, I can always separate d from the struct definition.
--      data = d
--    , fields =
--      -- Fields have been updated to a PhoneNumber
--      { number = ...
--      , type = ...
--      }
--    , -- View Offset represents the index into the data above.
--      -- Updated as necessary. We assume that the new offset is 40 here.
--      viewOffset = (0, 40)
--    , -- Data traversed so far. Assume that we've only traversed 30 bytes for
--         w/e reason.
--      currentTraversalDistance = 30
--    , traversalLimit = 67108864
--    }