Quoting Kenton Varda (2019-09-20 15:01:44)

> As to the original question, again, I think what Kuba is trying to do
> ought to work.

I think I've come around to agreeing here.

> And as to what's allowed at runtime, it seems reasonable that we could
> support covariance on struct-typed setters. Since setters make a copy,
> there is no soundness concern.

I believe this may be correct, after having thought through the details.

> I am also not religious about soundness. I prioritize practicality.

I wasn't really arguing from a religious standpoint, but I think
requiring an explicit cast for possibly-unsound operations is not much
of a burden, and has clear benefits from a safety perspective, which are
well worth it.  It seems like the point is moot in this case though.

-Ian