I want to build Cap’n Proto from source as part of my project; I know it’s
preferred to download a release, but I need to support iOS and there are no
releases for that AFAIK.

The build instructions at https://capnproto.org/install.html
<https://capnproto.org/install.html> seem out of date; they say to use
autoconf, but the current sources have a CMakeFile and I found that the usual
CMake build command work fine:
        mkdir build_cmake && cd build_cmake
        cmake ..
        make

However, if I add capnproto as a subdirectory to my project’s CMakeLists.txt:
        add_subdirectory(vendor/capnproto)
it doesn’t build. During the initial ‘cmake’ command for my project, I get
several errors of the form:

CMake Error at vendor/capnproto/c++/cmake/CapnProtoMacros.cmake:106
(add_custom_command):
  Error evaluating generator expression:

    $<TARGET_FILE:CapnProto::capnp_tool>

  No target "CapnProto::capnp_tool"
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:113 (capnp_generate_cpp)

I have no idea what this means, or what to do about it…

—Jens