Sending to mailing list.

From: Dave Dolson
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 5:29 PM
To: 'David Bird'
Subject: RE: [Captive-portals] API / ICMP for status and remaining time

Inline [DD]

From: David Bird [mailto:db...@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 5:23 PM
To: Dave Dolson

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Dave Dolson
<ddol...@sandvine.com<mailto:ddol...@sandvine.com>> wrote:
If I understand correctly, the “Policy Class” can be considered as a “Reason”.
Then different users can be having different portal experiences from the same
base URL.
Is that what you meant?

That would depend on the portal -- it can decide to redirect to a different
portal, display different text, or do nothing -- so, potentially.

If so, I think this does address the issues of URL phishing by an off-net
attacker.

It would be easy to prevent ICMP of this nature entering a network from the
Internet (the NAS decide is in a good position to do this in many cases). We
could make it clear that routers should drop capport ICMP unless specifically
configured not to.
 [DD] I’m not a fan of recommending ICMP be dropped. My point was that there is
little damage that an off-network attacker can do, except make you go to your
own portal. But perhaps often; hence the receiver should rate-limit visits to
the portal.

Any thoughts on whether rate-limiting of messages should be specified?

I think there needs to be a section on it. In the validity description I
mention a NAS may start silently dropping packets, that could be stronger. Any
suggestions from past experiences?
[DD] How about saying the receiver of the ICMP messages should rate-limit
visits to the portal.