From: Mark Nottingham
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 8:28 PM
To: David Bird
Cc: Erik Kline; captive-portals@ietf.org; Martin Thomson; Mikael Abrahamsson
Subject: Re: [Captive-portals] time-based walled gardens

Hi David,

I'm not arguing against helping improve the user experience of captive portals
as they're commonly understood and currently deployed; I'm against expanding
the definition of "captive portal" to give the network more control over
communication *after the captive portal phase is done.*

Of course, networks already have significant power over what a user can and
cannot do over them. Codifying this by standardising a way for networks to
interpose themselves in subsequent communication, or pop up "helpful"
information on the fly, or selectively refuse communication and offer
replacement content -- all of which seem to be under discussion here -- is a
pretty substantial expansion of that power, in practical terms.

It may be that that's the right thing to do, but it'd need to be informed by a
wider discussion. This was *not* the scope of work that I understood when this
WG was chartered.

WRT your question about "who is the IETF to define what is an appropriate
business model access" -- this is a question that is being taken seriously in
the IETF, as evidenced by tech plenary session in Chicago. It's clear that we
don't solely determine the balance of these things on the Internet, but it's
just as clear that we do have some role to play; I think it'd be pretty poor if
we just abdicated any responsibility to end users and said "let the market sort
it out, we just write specs." At the very least, I'd expect a discussion of the
effect these changes might have upon the Internet and people's access to it.

Regards,

Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/