> On Sep 3, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Lorenzo Colitti
> <lorenzo=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> During discussions with captive portal operators about implementing the
> capport API, one of the stumbling blocks that keeps coming up is that the
> captive portal operator does not always control the DHCP configuration and
> thus cannot easily use RFC7710.

Thanks for bringing this up.

I wanted to clarify the issue a bit before diving into the mitigations. Do
these captive portal operators have *no* relationship to the DHCP
configuration? Presumably, the captive portal enforcement is done somewhere on
path, in the router, or between the router and the Internet connection. And, if
there is redirection of DNS going on, presumably, this is a DNS server that the
captive portal (or the operator of the network) has some control over, and is
provisioned via DHCP. For such portals, I would assume that it would be as easy
to add a DHCP CAPPORT option as it would be to add the DNS server address of
the captive portal's resolver (assuming the DHCP implementation supports the
option).

Since the mitigation below is specific to modifying the DNS, I assume that we
are talking about captive portal solutions that work, in part, by intercepting
DNS.

Thanks,
Tommy