it’s  my understanding that they DID complete 64bit carbon but chose not to
release it so they wouldn’t be chained to it for years to come.

bad decision IMHO.  Windows apps i wrote twenty  years ago still work (still
COMPILE!) on latest OS  & tools. not so mac.

used to be apple was “the good guys”.

sigh