There's a issue in ODE which cause this behavior. The correct approach is as
follows:

1. If there are running instances and process is retired, service will be
still there to serve incoming request for those running instances. If
process instantiation request comes to this service, exception will be throw
from ODE and user will see a SOAP fault.
2. If there aren't any active instances we should remove the service.
3. If there were active instances at the time of retiring and then we
undeploy the process; at this time we should remove the service.

Currently I am working on ODE issues.

Thanks
Milinda

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Srinath Perera <srin...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> Ideal requirement is that
>
> "for retiring we have to figure out a way to remove the service (so it
> is not listed, and not invokable) but have to make sure currently
> running process will continue to work. "
>
> 1. We have to think how to do this? At least open a issue
>
> 2. But, as far as I understood, the issue is that if you retire and
> then undeploy afterward, service is till around. In that case all
> processes have to be killed and service remove, as IMO undeploy takes
> precedence.
>
> 3. Now if a process has been retried and if all processes has
> finished, do we detect that and remove the service? that is a weaker
> version of #1
>
> Thanks
> Srinath
>

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Denis Weerasiri <de...@wso2.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Srinath Perera <srin...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Denis,
> >>
> >> This is the service associate with BPEL process?
> >
> > yep. Not the external services.
> >>
> >> If BPEL is
> >> undeployed, service has to be removed as well?
> >
> > yp. This works. But when a BPEL is retired, I'm not sure what should
> > actually happen, as there may be running instances available etc. So
> users
> > might need to get service-mgt details.
> >>
> >> Is there a difference between undeploy and retiring?
> >
> > Retiring means can't invoke the process, but the created instances are
> still
> > available. Undeploying means completely removing the process artifacts
> and
> > create instances as well.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Srinath

> >> --
> >> ============================
> >> Srinath Perera, Ph.D.
> >>   Senior Software Architect, WSO2 Inc.
> >>   Visiting Lecturer, University of Moratuwa
> >>   Member, Apache Software Foundation
> >>   Member, Lanka Software Foundation
> >>   Blog: http://srinathsview.blogspot.com/

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Denis
> > Denis Weerasiri
> > Software Engineer; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com,
> > email: den...@wso2.com cell: +94 (71) 684-4450
> > blog: http://ddweerasiri.blogspot.com
> > twitter: http://twitter.com/ddweerasiri
> > linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/in/ddweerasiri
> >

> --
> ============================
> Srinath Perera, Ph.D.
>   Senior Software Architect, WSO2 Inc.
>   Visiting Lecturer, University of Moratuwa
>   Member, Apache Software Foundation
>   Member, Lanka Software Foundation
>   Blog: http://srinathsview.blogspot.com/

Milinda Pathirage
Technical Lead and Product Manager, Business Process Server - WSO2 Inc;
http://wso2.com
Blog: http://blog.mpathirage.com

Lean Enterprise Middleware