On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Chanaka Jayasena <chan...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> During recent UI reviews, introducing default text for text boxes,
> which disappears with user interaction was suggested.
>
> I added this to UI core. To add this functionality to any text box follow
> the three steps below.
>
> 1.-  Import the following two js files in to the jsp file.
>
> <script src="../yui/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js"
> type="text/javascript"></script>
> <script src="../admin/js/widgets.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

You can include this into the header.jsp, so that it automatically becomes
available for everyone.

> 2 - Make sure alt, id, value attributes are present and they are defined as
> follows.( Alt tag holds the default text value for that particular field.
> Value tag is required and it can initially be empty or it can hold a value.)
>
> ex: <input type="text" id="txtBoxId" alt="Enter Name"  value=""  />
>
> 3 - Call this js method to put every things in to action.
>
> giveDefaultText("txtBoxId");

When you click on the text box, does the default text disappear. Also, can
we define our own input type; e.g. <input type="smarttext" ... /> ? In other
words, our own widget. Calling that Javascript method is cumbersome.

> thanks,
> Chanaka

*Afkham Azeez*
Senior Software Architect & Senior Manager; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com,