On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Charitha Kankanamge <chari...@wso2.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hira...@wso2.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Charitha Kankanamge <chari...@wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Our products consume ~600-700 MB of memory (we noticed this by checking
>>> the free memory after the server is started), however the release docs of
>>> most of the products says the minimum memory requirement as 256MB, which is
>>> totally wrong. G-reg docs correctly mention that it is 1G. Therefore, please
>>> update all the release docs accordingly.
>>>

>> The startup script only allows a max heap size of 512 MB (which is good
>> enough for most cases - production systems may need more memory depending on
>> the load). So how can the server consume 600-700 MB? Have you increased the
>> allocated heap size?
>>

> No I did not. I just checked the free memory of my machine before and after
> server startup. I did not do any profiling or any tool based analysis. We
> may need to do that and figure out the exact memory growth.

Then we have to conclude that it's not the Carbon server which is taking up
all this memory. It is the JVM + OS + all other applications running on the
machine. We need to use jconsole to figure out the exact amount of memory
consumed by the JVM.

I agree that memory usage has slightly increased in Carbon 3.2.0, but it
cannot grow up to 600-700 MB range unless the server is heavily loaded. Even
in that case an OOM will occur and server should crash because our default
JVM settings do not let the heap grow beyond 512MB.

Thanks,
Hiranya