Hi Hiranya,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hira...@wso2.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Kishanthan Thangarajah <
> kishant...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> This is related to [1]. Currently we are using 2.5.1. And we are
>> migrating to 3.1.0.RELEASE, which is the latest stable, platform wide.
>> Products that are using the old version in distribution are, ESB, LB, MS.
>> So these will be updated too.
>>

> I believe there are major API changes in the latest version. Can you see
> how easy/difficult is to migrate to the latest version? BTW no need to
> consider ESB and LB as 2 products with regard to this matter.

Yes, the API has undergone some major changes from 1.2.x to 2.x and to 3.
The major improvements are in IoC, with new bean definitions, improved XML
configurations etc. The major change in 3.x is the upgrade and support for
Java6 and the core has been optimized for this change. Junit support for
3.x is deprecated, and they are recommending to move to TestNG or JUnit4.
This will not be a problem as we are moving to TestNG. Even-though the
API is changed, the framework is backward compatible to a certain extent.
In components level, i tested spring-services and logging components with
the latest, and i didn't encounter any issues. But i think the problem may
arise in mediators/spring-mediator where it is referring to an old version
(1.2.8). This version has lot of deprecated methods which have been removed
in the 2.5.x releases. This is a synapse mediator, So If we are to change
this, I believe the change should come from synapse level and then we can
update. WDYT?
Anyways i'm now trying with the new version for spring-mediator to see
whether there are any conflicts with the changed API.

Thanks,
Kishanthan.