Hi Muthu,

Hey, thanks. I will wait for the link.

Please do understand me correct. I am not against OpenVZ. I was just
asking around what kind of Virtualisation most of the amdins I know
using. And some using it, some not. I know that OpenVZ template could
never have that size of an Image of other Virtual Machines, but it was
just an idea to ask admins what they would prefer and why. So this is
definitely not an representative survey :)

We have to provide that OpenVZ link, definitely. But also thinking in
that way to other VM's what been used outside.

Robert

Am Mittwoch, den 22.09.2010, 18:57 +0530 schrieb Ap.Muthu:
> Hi Robert,
>
> OpenVZ has been the most stable for my clients. Set up is a breeze and
> teardown / migration / backup is quick.
> Small containers with GrowFileSystem and shared memory and kernel are
> actually advantages and not restrictions. Each container root can do pretty
> much waht they want. No Networking issues and the IPs are generally assigned
> using venet (Virtual Ethernet) during creation itself and hence when it is
> migrated, there is no problem if a new ip and / or domain name is assigned
> to the migrated container. Some may have experienced network problems if
> they used shared ethernet in the past, but now all is stable. Try thebare
> metal install from Proxmox - http://pve.proxmox.com - Commercial vendors
> will cast aspersions / doublt on pure open source to prevent mass adoption
> or rather to safeguard their product's adoption interests. Every SourceForge
> mailer will have some for ad for Novel's xen!
> The make files for creating the care2x template apart from the care2x code
> will be less than 5 KB. The whole template is a mere 200 MB - OS, LAMP and
> Care2x - preinstalled.
>
> I will post the link to their wiki here when the care2x page there is ready.
>
> Regards,
> Ap.Muthu
>

> > Hi Muthu,
> >
> > [...]
> >> Anyone using OpenVZ can use the template.
> > [...]
> >
> > I used this morning a bit the time to ask administrators I know around
> > this planet if they are using OpenVZ. Some yes, some not. However,
> > that's a kind of philosophy. Those who are not using it complain that
> > OpenVZ has issues in networking (VPN connections) and most of them
> > restricting permissions on root inside the OpenVZ that it will not have
> > effects on the host (it's using the kernel of the host).
> >
> > However.. we should provide it and go for it. Parallel work could be an
> > VMware image with preinstalled linux & working care2x. Out of that
> > images everyone can transform it to the VM they are using (qemu,
> > kvm...).
> >
> > But actually I like that idea. Let see a valid way later to host such
> > big images...
> >
> > Robert

CARE2X - free Integ Hospital Info System
https://sourceforge.net/projects/care2002/
http://www.care2x.org