Traci,

There is not a way to control the assignment of paint identifiers when
creating the paint volumes.

However, if you combine all of the individual paint volumes into a
"multi-volume" file, the paint indices will be synchronized.  You will
need to use "caret_command", the command line tool included with the
Caret distribution.  Specifically, you will need to run the command
"caret_command -volume-file-combine".  Be sure to use the "-paint"
option at the end of your command so that the paint names get
synchronized.  If you still need each volume separately, you will need
to load the multi-volume file into Caret and then save each of the
volumes contained in the multi-volume file.

caret_command -volume-file-combine
    VOLUME FILE COMBINE
       caret_command -volume-file-combine
          <output-volume-file-name>
          <input-volume-file-1-name>
          [additional-input-volume-files]
          [-paint]
          Combine the volumes into a single, multi-volume file.

          If the volumes are paint or probabilistic atlas volume
          files, the "-paint" option must be specified so that
          paint name indices are synchronized throughout all of
          the volumes.

Good luck.

John Harwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]