Steve,

What is the error you are receiving when trying to compile Caret?

Problems with newer versions of VTK are not unusual and I continue to
use 5.0.2.  Plus, I have never been fond of cmake.  In any case, I
have made a copy of VTK-5.0.2 available at
"http://brainvis.wustl.edu/wiki_linked_files/caret_files/vtk-5.0.2.zip
".  There is now a link to this version of VTK on from
"http://brainvis.wustl.edu/CaretHelpAccount/caret5_help/source_code/source_code.html

".  My desire is to remove VTK from Caret but VTK provides some
complex algorithms (polygon decimation and surface reconstruction)
that we need.

The bug report (http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=518640
) was probably resolved by a Caret user  (Michael Hanke) that builds
Caret for Debian Linux.

In general, due to all of these compilation problems, we encourage the
use of the compiled versions of Caret.

Good luck.

John Harwell
j...@brainvis.wustl.edu